Locksmithing/Determine combination

I have a Star-American safe model no FS2019.  It is open and the door is removed.  It has a Group 2 No 20245 R6700 series Sargent Greenleaf combo lock.  I need to figure out the combo so I can use the safe. Can you help?  Thx

I NEVER recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of knowledge, training and tools CAN result in a very expensive lock out, easily costing 10 times what it would have for you to simply take the door down to a local safe company to have them recover or reset the combination.   If you make a mistake there are "NO" do overs, the door is locked shut and WILL NOT open!

As I'm sure that you are going to do it anyway, you will have to remove the back cover of the lock to determine the combination by observation of the wheels during the dialing sequence.

The correct dialing sequence for this lock is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the lever engages and the lock bolt retracts.

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the rotations of the dial, count the individual numbers as the arrive at the 12 o'clock index mark.   
Also, the lock bolt will not fully retract if the back cover of the lock is removed.

As you turn the dial (above), you need to find a location that you can observe the alignment of the wheel gates.   If you observe the gates under the lever fence, then the numbers you observe are the actual combination.   If you observe the wheels in a different location, then you will need to transfer your numbers so that the wheels line up correctly at the lever fence.

If you don't understand these instructions or they don't make sense, or if you have a problem, then take the door to a local safe company to have them recover or reset the combination and ensure that the door functions correctly.

Sorry, but this is about as complete as the instructions are going to be.  A basic course in "safe lock servicing" is about 1 week long, and has a pre-requisite of basic locksmithing.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)