Locksmithing/Determine combination

Question
I have a Star-American safe model no FS2019.  It is open and the door is removed.  It has a Group 2 No 20245 R6700 series Sargent Greenleaf combo lock.  I need to figure out the combo so I can use the safe. Can you help?  Thx

Answer
Earle,

I NEVER recommend lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of knowledge, training and tools CAN result in a very expensive lock out, easily costing 10 times what it would have for you to simply take the door down to a local safe company to have them recover or reset the combination.   If you make a mistake there are "NO" do overs, the door is locked shut and WILL NOT open!

As I'm sure that you are going to do it anyway, you will have to remove the back cover of the lock to determine the combination by observation of the wheels during the dialing sequence.

The correct dialing sequence for this lock is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the lever engages and the lock bolt retracts.

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the rotations of the dial, count the individual numbers as the arrive at the 12 o'clock index mark.   
Also, the lock bolt will not fully retract if the back cover of the lock is removed.

As you turn the dial (above), you need to find a location that you can observe the alignment of the wheel gates.   If you observe the gates under the lever fence, then the numbers you observe are the actual combination.   If you observe the wheels in a different location, then you will need to transfer your numbers so that the wheels line up correctly at the lever fence.

If you don't understand these instructions or they don't make sense, or if you have a problem, then take the door to a local safe company to have them recover or reset the combination and ensure that the door functions correctly.

Sorry, but this is about as complete as the instructions are going to be.  A basic course in "safe lock servicing" is about 1 week long, and has a pre-requisite of basic locksmithing.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)