Locksmithing/How to figure out meilink comb.

Question
The door is in the open posion I have the metal plate off. The back of the door. I took the cover off the " timber"box ? & can line up the timber to open the door but can't figure out the comb. Any help  would  be very nice thank you. Safe no.a87799  a89999  device .y667078 fid no.

Answer
Bruce,

First off, I NEVER recommend any type of lock disassembly as a DIY project, for the same reason that I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.   Lack of training, knowledge and/or tools can result in an expensive lockout.

As far as the "Safe Manufacturers National Association" (SMNA) label info that you've provided, this has nothing to do with the container, other than to indicate WHAT standard it was tested for, or built under.   In this case the "F1-D specification, indicates that it is a fire resistive safe.   Nothing more, nothing less.

I've no clue what you are referring to as the "Cover of the timber box", or "lining up the timber to open the door".
I'm assuming that you are referring to the "back cover of the LOCK"!

Recovering the combination can be done by simply observing the wheels of the lock as you correctly run the dialing sequence, to line up the wheel gate under the lever fence.   the dialing sequence should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If using this dialing sequence and the above information, while observing the operation of the wheel pack does not allow you to acquire the correct operating combination, then I would recommend that you contact a local safe company to have their safe technician recover or reset the combination for you.    If the door is small enough, you can simply lift it off of the hinges and take the door to the safe techs shop.   Service should be fairly quick and will recover or reset your combination, AND verify proper operation, so that you can use the container.

Warning:    As this safe is OVER 50 years old, it does not meet any current standards for fire resistance, and it also is not a burglary resistive safe.   it should not be used for overnight storage of cash, jewelry or valuable documents.

Hope this helps,   if you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know in your area.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)