Locksmithing/Mosler safe model 444254

Question
safe1
safe1  

safe2
safe2  
Hello Terry,

Happy Father's Day!

Yesterday I took my father to a flea market and we found an old "wall" mosler safe which we purchased for $60. I think it's a wall based since it has side angles. It also has support inside for laying maybe a little shelf inside.

The model is 444254. Spec R1. SMNA group 9. CAT 7 W S and then it has a number on the top right corner reading: 11y3319.

My question to you would be: Where can I find detailed info for this safe? Like what was it used for? When was it made? Was it used for commercial or military?

My father and I thank you in advance for any help possible,

-Manny

Answer
Manny,

Happy Fathers to you as well!

Yes, this was designed as a small wall safe.   $60 is a good price for it.

Unfortunately, there is no detailed info that you are looking for concerning this product.   Mosler did NOT build safes strictly for a specific purpose.   Anyone could buy any safe and use it for any specific purpose.

The number 444254 is NOT a model number, it is most likely the serial number.   This container would have been made in the mid to late 1940's.

The SMNA label has nothing to do with the manufacturer.   It is simply the standard that the safe was constructed under.
The Group 9 specification indicates that it is a burglary resistive wall safe, with a body thickness of NOT less than 1/4", and door thickness of not less than 1/2".   Doors to be equipped with a combination or key lock.    NOTE:   This is a MINIMUM burglary resistive standard.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)