Locksmithing/Mosler safe model 444254

Hello Terry,

Happy Father's Day!

Yesterday I took my father to a flea market and we found an old "wall" mosler safe which we purchased for $60. I think it's a wall based since it has side angles. It also has support inside for laying maybe a little shelf inside.

The model is 444254. Spec R1. SMNA group 9. CAT 7 W S and then it has a number on the top right corner reading: 11y3319.

My question to you would be: Where can I find detailed info for this safe? Like what was it used for? When was it made? Was it used for commercial or military?

My father and I thank you in advance for any help possible,

Happy Fathers to you as well!

Yes, this was designed as a small wall safe.   $60 is a good price for it.

Unfortunately, there is no detailed info that you are looking for concerning this product.   Mosler did NOT build safes strictly for a specific purpose.   Anyone could buy any safe and use it for any specific purpose.

The number 444254 is NOT a model number, it is most likely the serial number.   This container would have been made in the mid to late 1940's.

The SMNA label has nothing to do with the manufacturer.   It is simply the standard that the safe was constructed under.
The Group 9 specification indicates that it is a burglary resistive wall safe, with a body thickness of NOT less than 1/4", and door thickness of not less than 1/2".   Doors to be equipped with a combination or key lock.    NOTE:   This is a MINIMUM burglary resistive standard.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)