Locksmithing/How to remove a doorknob

Question
Latch Plate
Latch Plate  

Door knob
Door knob  
I just acquired a door I'm planning on using as a desktop, but now that it's home I find that I cannot figure out how to get the blasted door knob off.  It is/was an interior fire door.  I've combed through all the youtube videos and 'ask the expert' type forums, but everything I've tried fails. I'm assuming at this point that there is a specific trick I need to know to get this darned thing off.  I'm unable to identify the manufacturer, but I've attached a picture of the latch plate.  Can you help me figure out how to get this off, please?

Answer
Hello Patrick,

Without a manufacturer name it's hard to say where to start but I'll suggest the following based on what you've described.

On the rose (the semi-flat plate next to the door) behind the inside knob, if there is a hole, you have to rotate the rose counter-clockwise to remove it from the mounting plate.  Under the rose is a spring-like looking piece that you have to depress as you pull the knob off.

If the rose has no hole but has a slot, check for a small hole in the knob, close to the rose.  Depress the retainer in that hold as you pull the knob off.  Then pop the rose off by inserting a small flat screwdriver into the slot and twisting or prying.  In your photo this looks like the method for this knob as the rose looks like it's already coming off.  This may cover the retainer hole so push the rose back onto the door.

In both cases the mounting screws are under the rose.  Remove the screws then the plate should come off.  Then slide the outside assembly out of the door.  Some models may have an different mounting method such as a nut in the center of the hub assembly.  Unscrew that to remove the plate.

If neither of these methods work, please send a photo of the outside knob and any further information you can provide about the lock.

There is also a chance that the lock was installed incorrectly and that the retainer hole in the knob is hidden under the rose.  Pry up the rose if you can't see the retainer hole in the knob.

James

Locksmithing

James