Locksmithing/vanguard safe vs 200

We have a vanguard safe, and lost the combination for it. Could you tell us where who we call to retrieve the combination, for it. We called a locksmith, but we would like to use it again, if you could help, it would be appreciated.  Thank You!

The "Vanguard" series was a "logo" production safe for Sears, NOT a manufacturer.   Most of these were imported safes from Japan, Korea and China.

Bottom line is there is no where to "call" to recover a lost combination.   This pretty much leaves you with two options - you can simply try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations which your lock may have, or you can have a local safe company open it for you.

NOTE:   I NEVER recommend using a locksmith for safe work.   Generally they do not have the training, knowledge or tools and can cause excessive damage and/or charge exhorbant fees.

Unfortunately, the cost of having the safe opened, repaired and/or the combination recovered or reset, could easily cost more than the safe is worth.    These were cheaply made safes built to sell by companies like Sears and Montgomery Wards.   While it is possible to break into these safes fairly easily (burglary), destroying the safe kind of loses the "we would like to use it again" value!

If there is nothing inside the safe, I would recommend saving your money and buying a new safe.   If you have to get stuff out, and still want to use it, then you are better off taking it to a local safe company to have the work done.

Sorry, I wish the answer was better!

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)