QUESTION: I have been getting complaints of an X-09 not securing properly when closing and dailing to the left to secure it. I went to chekc it out and it worked fine but there have been several complaints. What would be the first thing to look at when fixing this issue? Thanks

The first thing that I would look for (assuming that as you have indicated, the lock IS working properly), would be the individuals that are having the problems.   There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock does not operate correctly, they are (in order)

1.  Operator errors - incorrect dialing sequence or operation.
2.  Incorrect or wrong numbers.
3.  Mechanical problems.

If you have eliminated lock problems or issues, then either they are making dialing errors or are using the wrong combination.

If for instance the problems are by one person, chances are that person is doing something incorrect.

The X-09 lock is fairly temperamental.   If "IT" doesn't like the way that you are dialing the lock, then it will assume that it is being attacked by a robot dialer and will NOT recognize even the correct combination.   If dialing is stopped at any point for 40 seconds it will reset.   If the operator does not sufficiently "pause" when a number is reached, before starting on the next number, the lock will reset or register it as an incorrect combination.

It is very easy for someone to make simple dialing errors which will cause it NOT to operate correctly.

As far as the lock NOT securing correctly, again this will require you to diagnose the problem.   Close the drawer as slowly as possible.   Does the bolt work full extend, allowing the lock to operate correctly???
Close the drawer (almost slamming it), does the bolt work extend fully or bounce back, partially blocking the full extension of the lock bolt????
Check to ensure that nothing inside of the container is blocking the drawer from closing fully, as this CAN result in the bolt work not fully extending.
If everything has been thoroughly checked and is operating correctly, then check the lock bolt, and lever assembly (slide bar), to ensure that it is extending or transversing to the fully locked position every time.   If any item inside the lock is not functioning correctly it WILL cause lock problems.

Well, I'm pretty much at a point that I would need the lock in my hot little hand, to diagnose it any further.   If you are still having problems with the lock, and/or drawer, then it may be time for a fresh set of eyes.

QUESTION: Thanks for the Info. As far as a mechanical wise reason for the lock to not re-secure properly what would be the first thing to look for? Could the gears on the motor be bad or would it be something else?

Sorry, but mechanical problems require hands on diagnostics to determine exactly WHAT the problem is.    I could make a dozen guesses, and none of them might be correct, or the very first one might be right.   Bottom line - without having the lock in hand, all I'm doing is guessing.

Generally the gears and motor don't go bad, though a loose mounting screw could cause a problem.
A lock mounting screw may have come loose, and could be binding up the lock work.
Old dried up grease could be keeping parts from moving as they are suppose to.

Just like any other mechanical problem - you will have to diagnose the problem through observation of the lock while you are operating it.

Sorry, I can't be more helpful, but it sounds as though this problem will be fairly self explanatory once you observe its operation.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)