Locksmithing/Cary Safe Lock

Question
QUESTION: I have recently acquired a large Cary safe which I would like to restore. The safe is about the size of a refrigerator and has two doors.  I do not currently have the serial number handy to give you but can get it to you if necessary.  If I close the handle (with the doors open or closed) and turn the dial to the left, the handle locks.  If I then turn the dial back to the right, when it gets to the number zero it unlocks.

I contacted a local (I live in Liverpool, NY 13090) safe technician by phone to ask about this issue. He advised that the lock has been removed and that I should buy a new safe.  He was not very helpful and obviously did not understand the restoration aspect of my project.

I guess what I would really like to know is, what does the behavior of the mechanism suggest about the lock (or lack of lock)?  Also, what are my options for restoring this safe to working order, whatever the case may be?  (I understand that original replacement parts are not an option.)

Thank you for your time,

Joel

ANSWER: Joel,

welcome to my world!   The majority of locksmiths, have no training or knowledge about safes - especially older safes, and the majority of safe technicians only care about the training and/or knowledge as far as it contributes to their opening a container, or servicing it.

I have three safe technicians in New York that I would recommend you contact.   Out of the three the first one is the only one that I'm aware of who does safe restorations.   You can discuss the work with the other two, and you can find out whether they might have a lock for your safe.    I will need the serial number to tell you what lock SHOULD be on your safe.   You can also send me photos so that I can see what help I can be.    I do have a couple Yale Y-6 or M16 locks which Cary used - but again, I will need a serial number.

Precision Lock & Safe, Inc.
516-616-0864          Elaad Israeli
240 Jericho Tpke
Floral Park, NY 11001

Mark's Professional Safe Opening
716-553*6168          Mark Swetland
441 Cherokee Dr.
Buffalo, N.Y.  14225

LaBarge Lock and Safe Technicians
518-271-0783          Dave LaBarge
Albany, NY

I hope one of them can help you.

Inside_lock
Inside_lock  

Outside_front
Outside_front  
QUESTION: Hi Andy,

Sorry for taking so long to reply.  The serial number is 166697.  I would be interested in hearing approximately when my safe was made as well as whether or not you think I need a new lock.  If so, what would it cost me to get a new lock?  Also, if there is a more convenient way to share pictures with you, I could send others however you advise.

I have reached out to Precision Lock & Safe, Inc. and not received any reply.  I will try calling them this week.

Thanks again for the help,

Joel

Answer
Hi Joel,

I would be looking at around 1921 as the year your safe was made - so while it isn't an antique yet, it is still a collectible.   The lock that I would expect to see on this safe is a three wheel Yale M-16.   This lock was the newer version of the four wheel, Yale Y-6 lock.   Main differences would be 3 vs 4 wheels, and the interior relock trigger.

I don't see your safe as needing a new lock, but then I haven't actually seen your safe yet.   usually they just need to be serviced.

I usually have people send the photos directly to my email as this site is not "photo friendly" - sorry not my site, I'm just a volunteer here.    You can send them to me at:   andy@securitysafeusa.com      Note:   I do request fairly good resolutions - 1 mb or better, and as I have a 12 mb limit on attachments, it may be necessary for you to send multiple emails with only 3 or 4 photos per email.

good luck with Dov & Elaad Israli at Precision Lock & Safe.   They are very good safe techs.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)