Locksmithing/door to safe

(Andy)....My 93 y/o mother has not been able to open her meilink safe for over a yr....btw it a floor safe approx  24' hi..18' wide...and 28" deep....anyway she has taken a hammer and screw driver to the door in an attempt to get it open...question 1.  is this futile?   2.  how many bolts/rods does the door have  ie  to
determine her chances of success.......sorry  I [her son] did not pull it from it current location and  make internet  efforts to find info....about   the combo  being held by the   former and current company....hindsight is 20/20

do u take calls?

Yes her attempts are pretty much futile, though beating up the safe may be a great stress reliever for her.
Manufacturers figured out how to keep safes closed up from such attacks years ago.   Obviously with enough time and large enough tools, the safe can eventually be ripped open - but then again, remember the story about the infinite number of monkeys with an infinite amount of paper, and an infinite number of typewriters - eventually ONE of them will bang out a novel!

My recommendation would be to have you call a local safe company to have them open it.   Much less time and frustration.   Unfortunately their aren't many companies that I would recommend in New Mexico.   Probably the nearest ones that I would recommend are going to be in Arizona.   There are several small lock & safe companies in Albuquerque that you might try.   I don't know any of these companies personally and so can't recommend them.

Sorry there isn't an easy answer, but if there were - they wouldn't be very "SAFE"!!!

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)