Locksmithing/Double vs single cylinder and

Question
what is the difference between a double and a single cylinder deadbolt?  

What is a "smart-key"?  Does it mean that all the locks come with the same cut key and I then have to change it to make it unique?  I guess they had not been invented when I installed the main locks on the doors (74/75)

Pardon my ignorance :).  I have never run into those terms before.  

Thank you
Hanne

Answer
Hello Hanne,

Double cylinder deadbolts require a key from either side to lock or unlock.
Single cylinder deadbolts require a key from one side have a thumbturn from the other side.

Smart key locks are dumb locks.  They are designed so that the end user, you, can follow a few steps to change the factory key to any other key of the same type, thus eliminating the need to have a locksmith rekey the lock to match another key or to rekey it in case the key is compromised.  These locks are not secure, look at youtube.  They are unreliable.  If you attempt to rekey them as directed and make one false step, you have to see a locksmith or buy a new lock.

Stay away from smart key locks.

Don't use a double cylinder deadbolt unless you keep a key nearby from the inside for emergencies and only if local life safety codes allow the use of one.

James

Locksmithing

James