Locksmithing/Finding code for J&J Taylor safe

Question
Hello Patrick,

I have been looking at your previous answers, but couldn't find anything that fitted my problem. I hope you can help me.

Our student association have a J&J Taylor safe that have not been opened or moved in the last 20-30 years. We lost the code, and are left only with a 'serial number' of the type:
[Company name] ABCDE-123

Is there any number we can call and be able to find the code in some archives?
Is our ONLY solution to call a local locksmith? We called one company, but their fee is incredibly high (270$ for them to come, plus 80$/h until they open it) and thus we are trying to find a another way to open it.

Thank you very much,

Andre

Answer
Hi Andre,
You are not alone in this most incredibly misguided hope that somewhere there is a list of combinations that can be deciphered from a serial number clearly visible on the outside of your safe, If you give it a bit of thought I think you would agree that would not be very safe would it????

That being said I am very sorry but you are correct in assuming that the best course of action is to call a professional.

Unfortunately, (or maybe fortunately depending on who you are) the cost of an experienced Professional's time is not regulated by your value ( or lack of ) for it. $270 for the initial sounds fair and $80 an hour is actually only a little more than half what you would pay here in Toronto, our rates are $208 for service and the first hour and $138 per hour after. If you association has a locksmith it deals with you might find the most help calling them!

Patrick D. Harrington

Locksmithing

Patrick D. Harrington