Locksmithing/Hand Change Mosler 302

I just purchased a File cabinet safe from a surplus auction.  It was sold open so I checked the back and it does not have a key hole, nor does it have the second mark on the dial for using a key.  I removed the cover and looked at the dials which are numbered.  I replace the dials  without moving anything.  I would like to know if you know the procedure for setting a new combination.  The closest safe technician is about 35-40 miles away, so I would like to try and do this myself.
Thanks for any help.

First off, I NEVER, EVER recommend combination changing, ESPECIALLY if it concerns hand change locks, as a DIY project, for the same reason that I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.  Lack of training, knowledge and tools can and do, frequently result in locked up safes.   The small amount that you would pay to have it done correctly, will long be forgotten when you see the huge bill you could get if you lock the safe up.

As far as "training you", my basic safe servicing class, which includes combination changing, is about a week long, and has a pre-requisite that you are all ready a locksmith.

Because of the inherent dangers associated with lock disassembly, reassembly and possible lock outs, in order to provide you with the instructions, I have a hold harmless, release of liability form that I require, before I will provide you with the instructions.

Please send an email directly to me at:    requesting the hold harmless for the hand change combination changing instructions, and I would be happy to send it to you.

This is a no cost item, so I'm not trying to sell you anything - the form is merely a part of doing business.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)