Locksmithing/Jammed 4 drawer Hon file cabinet

At work, we have a four drawer file cabinet by Hon Industries and the last drawer at the bottom opens and closes all the way but the other three drawers will not open. I have tried to make sure all the other drawers are fully closed before trying to open another drawer but no matter what the top three drawers won't open. I have looked at the troubleshooting guide providing by Hon but it doesn't seem to be helping. Any advice?

Hello Mikala,

I'm assuming you have a vertical cabinet which locks differently than lateral ones.

I've not seen this before but I would remove the bottom drawer, reach inside and attempt to lift or pull down on the locking bar on the right as someone attempted to open one of the drawers.  It could be that the bar is stuck in the locked position and the part on the bottom drawer that the bar catches is broken or bent.

If you have a lateral cabinet, some are designed so that only one drawer can open at a time and the mechanical device in the cabinet may be stuck.  Again remove the bottom drawer but on this type attempt to move the limiting bar which may be on either side or even the back.  I've not seen this on any type of cabinet.

If all else fails, contact your local office furniture supplier and see if they can offer any assistance.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.