Locksmithing/kwikset titan doorknob latch jammed

Question
My doorknob latch is jammed. I managed to remove the lock assembly including the spindle, but the latch just won't come out of the striker plate. I tried forcing the ears in the center hole where the spindle goes, buy it is very hard to budge. It seems like something is jammed on the door side of the latch. I have tried lubrication with liquid graphite, doesn't help much either. If I'm able with your help to free it  it do I have to replace the whole lockset?

Answer
Once they are broken they can be a real pain to get open. Try having someone push the door towards the closed position while you try to move the latch retractor (ears).

Otherwise you will have to use needle nose pliers to remove it piece by piece until it opens.

Any good locksmith shop should have a replacement latch.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

I usually put a screwdriver through the holes in the latch, brace the edge of the door with my foot and pull both ends of the screwdriver. Is it painted in? Sometimes you have to run a razor knife around the plate

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno