Locksmithing/kwikset titan doorknob latch jammed

My doorknob latch is jammed. I managed to remove the lock assembly including the spindle, but the latch just won't come out of the striker plate. I tried forcing the ears in the center hole where the spindle goes, buy it is very hard to budge. It seems like something is jammed on the door side of the latch. I have tried lubrication with liquid graphite, doesn't help much either. If I'm able with your help to free it  it do I have to replace the whole lockset?

Once they are broken they can be a real pain to get open. Try having someone push the door towards the closed position while you try to move the latch retractor (ears).

Otherwise you will have to use needle nose pliers to remove it piece by piece until it opens.

Any good locksmith shop should have a replacement latch.

Dan Terrigno
American Safe & Vault Service
Cleveland, OH

I usually put a screwdriver through the holes in the latch, brace the edge of the door with my foot and pull both ends of the screwdriver. Is it painted in? Sometimes you have to run a razor knife around the plate

Dan Terrigno

I can answer questions about commercial locks, card access systems, locksmithing except for cars, safes & safe opening, video surveillance and master key systems

35 years as a locksmith, security system designer and installer, trouble shooting and repair of all manner of security related equipment

Associated Locksmiths of America, Safe & Vault Technicians Association

Attended Miami University, Kent State University, continuing education through the Associated Locksmiths of American

Certified Master Locksmith. Certified ALOA instructor.

Numerous Fortune 500 companies, DOD, and other governmental agencies