Locksmithing/meilink / hercules safe

Question
I have an OLD Meilink / Hercules safe.  SG-163 is stamped on the dial if that helps you any.
I have the combination but cannot seem to get the vault to function.  It is opened for the time being but of no use if I cannot make it function.
I read some of your answers and saw the sequence in which to turn the dial and that didn't seem to help either.  Is there anything else that I need to do or that I can do??

Answer
Patti,

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock will not function correctly, in order, they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, (operator errors)
2.  Incorrect combination, (wrong numbers)
3.  Mechanical problems

Based on your description of the problems, I would have to guess that it is either item 1 or 3.   Fortunately, as the safe is open, it will be easy for a safe technician, from a local safe company to service the lock, AND recover the correct combination and dialing sequence.

If your lock is experiencing a mechanical problem, you definitely do not want to close and lock it, as the cost to open it up, could cost MANY times more than it may be worth.

If your safe is small enough, simply take it to a local safe company (NOT a locksmith shop).   If it is too large for you to move, then you may have to have them come to you.  

Chances are the lock has not been serviced in years, so it is probably time to have this done anyway.    Servicing will verify the locks operation for you.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you and/or the safe are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I know in your area.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)