Locksmithing/Meilink safe

QUESTION: I have a Meilink safe ser.# C 3838 2.0 CU FT Safe given to me but he can not find the combination for it The safe is in real nice shape no dents the paint still looks brand new I do not know the age I made 3 calls to the company that took over the Meilink safes but thy never get back to me like thy say thy would. I do not know how I find the comb numbers for it I can feel the gates when I turn the dial I am turning turned 4 to the left and 3 to the right and 2 to the left and then I turn back to 90 but dial does not stop I used 15 33 42 then I try 10 20 30 also 21 22 30 2 and last 13 42 60

Generally they only have records available for the last few years.   Once something is no longer under warranty they don't keep the info available.   While they may have records that go back to the beginning, no one there is interested in searching through them.    No appoligy, just the way it is.

This brings us to your safe.    Meilink safes with the "C" serial numbers were made during the 70's through the 90's.   Yours would probably have been late 70s or early 80's.

The dialing sequence would be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops.

Note:  left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

I'll guarantee that you are NOT feeling the wheel gates.   While you may be feeling part of the lock operating, it is NOT the wheels.

Without a combination you are pretty much limited to two options - you can try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations, or you can have a safe technician open the safe and recover the combination for you.    If you can take the safe in to a local safe company, you can save some $$$'s as you don't have to incur the mobile service charge.

Sorry there isn't a better answer, but if combinations were readily available, safes really wouldn't be very secure.

If you don't have a local safe company to take the safe to, let me know where you are located (zip code) and I'll see who I know in your area.

QUESTION: My zip code is 60420 so locating a place would be helpful thank you

Probably the nearest company that I would recommend would be:

Fink Safe & Lock Company
2311 N Western Ave
Chicago, IL   60647

I understand that they are around 70 miles away, but the next nearest companies (several) are in the 130-200 mile range.

there may be some closer companies, just none that I would and/or could recommend.

QUESTION: There is a large panel on the out side back of the safe and two round what looks like  knock out plugs and the panel looks like it could be removed there the same color of the safe what are thy for thanks for the help again

This is where they "pour / fill" the insulation material into the safe.   They are NOT access ports.   When the safe is originally built, the core and the outer skin are built separately and then connected together.   This leaves a large "void" between the two walls.    Various manufacturers use their own "proprietary" insulation mix to fill this void.   While it usually isn't a cement or mortar it is the same idea.   After filling these holes are filled, and the safe baked to remove the majority of the moisture and solidify the insulation.    This is what gives the safe its "HEAT" resistance.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)