Locksmithing/Remington Rand 4 Drawer Fire Safe

I have read in your previous answers about some stuck drawer issues and how to remedy that i.e. the locking bar mechanism.  Can you explain to me how to remove the drawers.  Thank you

Over the years various "drawer slides" were used, you will have to determine what you have and how it attaches to the drawer by either observation or by trial and error.

One of the more common types used in this type of cabinet is similar to a support tray.   Pull the drawer all the way out (as far as it will go, then lift up on the drawer and pull forward.   Pay close attention to how it comes out, as you WILL have to reverse this method to reinstall the drawer.

Others may have catches, latches or releases.   Each track (left & right) will individually have a release.   lift, pull or push the release to allow the drawer to slide forward.   Sometimes these require three hands to accomplish.   If you can get one side to release while pulling forward slightly, it may allow you to then release the second slide.
Alternately, if you can get one side to release, try sliding it back slightly, so that it is not engaged, but it still supports the drawer.   Do the other side and pull the drawer out.

Some slide assemblies are actually screwed on to the drawer.   screws may not be visible or readily apparent.   if you don't see screws on the inside of the drawer, holding the drawer to the slide, then look on the outside at the slide area.    As you move the drawer in and out, pay attention to small holes in the slide, as these may be access holes to the screws.   As the drawer slides out, find these screws and remove them.   when the screws have been removed the drawer should easily come out.    There may be from one to three screws per side, depending on the model used.

Obviously if the drawer is jammed into the container and won't come out, none of the above will apply until after you are able to pull it out.

If you can't figure out what the problems are, and correct them, it may simply be time to replace the unit as it could easily be 55 to 65 years old.

Also if you can't figure out how the drawers come out, you may need to have a safe technician check it out.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)