Locksmithing/Replacing a Welch deadbolt

Welch deadbolt
Welch deadbolt  
I'm trying to replace the hardware on all my external doors with Kwikset deadbolts and doorknobs. I was able to get the deadbolt apart however, the part that goes in the door (Welch) is larger than any deadbolt I've seen (about six inch long). Since all newer deadbolts are under two inches long, is there a way to fill the existing hole in the door to replace it with a more current and smaller lock?

Hello Cheryl,

That looks like a mortise lock of some kind.  I've not seen one with that much of a backset so fining one is difficult.

You may be better off getting a wrap wound plate to cover the old hole but that depends on how far the hole actually is from the door edge.  This might work

The hole on the door edge is a factor as well.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.