Locksmithing/Replacing a Welch deadbolt

Question
Welch deadbolt
Welch deadbolt  
I'm trying to replace the hardware on all my external doors with Kwikset deadbolts and doorknobs. I was able to get the deadbolt apart however, the part that goes in the door (Welch) is larger than any deadbolt I've seen (about six inch long). Since all newer deadbolts are under two inches long, is there a way to fill the existing hole in the door to replace it with a more current and smaller lock?

Answer
Hello Cheryl,

That looks like a mortise lock of some kind.  I've not seen one with that much of a backset so fining one is difficult.

You may be better off getting a wrap wound plate to cover the old hole but that depends on how far the hole actually is from the door edge.  This might work http://www.jmlock.com/shop/uslock-door-wrap-around-for-deadlocks-or-deadbolts/

The hole on the door edge is a factor as well.

James

Locksmithing

James