Locksmithing/Sisco Safe

QUESTION: I have a sisco combination safe model # 1190. The combination wont work and I lost the key. Where can I get another key for the safe.

Unfortunately all of the Sisco safes are imports from China - so contacting the factory for a replacement key is kind of in the "slim to none" category.   This leaves you with a couple options, you can take your safe to a local locksmith to see if they can pick the lock and fit a key to it, or take it to a safe company to have this work done.

Unfortunately, many locksmiths today, do not have the skills of locksmiths from as recent as 20 years ago.   Many think that picking locks is simply a movie gimmick, and choose to drill your lock out and replace it.    In this case, they are going to have a tough time finding replacement parts - so this should not be an option either.

You will need a larger, well established lock shop, to ensure that they have the skills necessary, tools and key blanks.

If you also don't have the combination for the safe, then I would recommend the safe company over the locksmith shop, as they should be able to make the key, and recover the combination to open the safe.    Problem is, the cost of the labor could EASILY be more than the safe is worth in this case.    

Discuss all the options and costs with them PRIOR to letting them work on the safe, so that you understand up front what ALL the associated costs are going to be, and so they don't "sneak" any hidden charges in on you.

Sorry there isn't a better answer, but unfortunately this is one of the realities of buying foreign made safes, especially some of the inexpensive Asian made ones.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located and I'll see who I know in your area.

QUESTION: I have the combination for the safe. But it still wont open. What I'd like to know is will the key open the safe if the combination doesn't work. I bought the safe second hand and the key was lost before I bought it. I've had the safe for about 3 years and it has always worked fine up until now. And I have a 5 digit number for a replacement key. I just don't know where to get a replacement key.

the key lock on one of these import safes, with a mechanical combination lock will NOT open the safe in lieu of the combination lock.   This lock is merely an additional layer of security or for dual custody.   While it is NOT a high or even medium security lock, it can still be stubborn.

As far as having a key made, I can make the keys, however the ONLY way I will guarantee a keys operation is if I have the lock in hand to work from.   Obviously if you can't bring it to my shop, you may want to take it to a local safe company or locksmiths shop to have the key made.   If they can't make the key by any other means than by ruining the lock, then you are definitely at the wrong shop, and I wouldn't recommend letting them do any work on the safe.

I recently helped a friend who was locked out of his expensive motorhome.   He had a couple local locksmiths come out - one wanted to drill out the lock and the other was going to use a prybar to open the door!!!!!   Both told him that lock picking was only a "Movie" thing, and it wasn't real.    These two yokels were going to cause thousands of dollars in damage all because they were too cheap to actually get any real training before going into business.

Sorry the news isn't any better.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)