Locksmithing/Victor Safe

Have my fathers old Victor safe, when I was younger I would open it all the time and stash stuff inside there for fun but only remember a two of the numbers and the opening sequence, what can I do to figure out the other two numbers. Is there a mathematical equation for such a thing?

Why yes there is a mathematical progression.  Actually you can probably come up with a meathematical equation for just about everything.   If you have a 100 number dial with three wheels and a drive wheel, the number of possible combinations would be 100 x 100 x 100 (plus the drive wheel) = 1,000,000 possible combinations.  It is fairly easy to write a progression chart by using an excell spread sheet.   Though the problem is it would take you about 5.5 years to run through the progression.

If you have a 60 number dial, probably with two wheels and a drive wheel, the number of combinations would be 60 x 60 plus the drive wheel.

Dialing sequence would be as follows:   (three wheel lock)

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right to the fourth number - or until dial stops

(Two Wheel Lock)
3 times right to the first number,
2 times left to the second number,
1 time right to the third number - or until the dial stops

Note:   Many of the Victor safes do not have a handle.   during the last rotation, when the lock lever engages the drive wheel, continuing turning until the dial stops, then open door.
If the door has a handle, then you would turn the dial until it stops, then turn the handle to open.

Depending on "which" numbers you have, you would only need to look for the missing number, which could be up to 100 combinations.   If you don't know WHICH wheel the number goes to, then using the known numbers on the other wheels would give you six variations of 100 combinations.

Obviously all of this assumes that you actually have two correct numbers of the combination.   If not, then you will dialing 1,000,000 possibles!

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)