Locksmithing/Weight of the safe

Question
Mosler Safe
Mosler Safe  
Hi Mr. Andreasen

Hi I like to relocate a MOSLER safe, before I need to know the weight so the mover could price for me, the model:

Model 12 #21706-1

Please advice, thanks.

Answer
Joseph,

The weight will depend on the rating of the safe, AND any interior apportionments.

Chances are this is a 2 hour fire resistive safe, so I would expect it to weigh between 2300 to 2700 lbs.   If it has anything other than 3 or 4 shelves inside this can affect the weight.   Many of this type of safe would also contain a round door burglary resistive money chest.   Depending on the size of the chest, this could easily add from 600 to 1000 lbs to the overall weight of the safe.

Hopefully you can see that it isn't quite as easy as simply indicating that you have a "model #xx" to get an exact weight.

The same model could have three different ratings, and a multitude of interior designs, all of which would change the weight.

2500 to 3000 lbs should be a good estimate to start with though.

Next thing is, I'm not sure why the mover is pricing it by the weight, unless you are moving across country with a freight forwarder.    Also, I would recommend having the safe moved by someone experienced with moving items this heavy.   Regular furniture movers do NOT have the equipment or expertise for heavy items.    While they may insist that they can do it, we regularly have to either open or repair damaged safes, moved by inexperienced "movers"!    What was it Clint Eastwood said in "Dirty Harry"?    "A mans GOT to know his limitations!"

Good luck with the move.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)