Locksmithing/no combo

Question
we bought a cary safe with no combo, how do we figure a combo out for this, or can we get another set of #'s? there are #'s on a plate on the door that read Y-31679
THANKS,
OLIVIA

Answer
Heidi and/or Olivia,

I would imagine that the safe door is open, as the "Y-31679" is probably on the wheel curb plate, on the back of the door.   This plate (and serial number), is for the lock only and not the safe.   The serial number of the safe should be on the ball of the handle.

As long as the safe is open, the current combination the lock is set on can be recovered or reset.   However, you will need to have a safe technician from a local safe company disassemble the lock to do this.

Manufacturers never released any records concerning the serial numbers of the safes, or the combinations that might have been set originally.

If you don't have a local safe company, I would need to know where you are located (zip code) to see who I know in your area.

I would also like to know the serial number of your safe (should be on the ball of the handle), if you get a chance.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)