Locksmithing/Difficult to shut control drawer of GSA Class 6 safe

Question
I have a 4-drawer GSA class 6 security container with S&G mechanical lock.  For some time (years), the control drawer has been very difficult to shut and have the bolts latch - it takes a lot of effort and coercing to get the drawer to finally shut.  The drawer slides in smoothly, but the locking bolt on the left side appears to be the culprit (not the bolt worked by the lock, but the large bolt mechanism that holds the drawers in place), as the drawer appears to go slightly crooked just before the bolt finally latches.  There does not appear to be anything blocking the drawer.  Otherwise, the control drawer opens smoothly and the lock and locking mechanism are fine.  The other three drawers also operate smoothly.

Any suggestions on what I might try to solve my problem?

Answer
Robert,

Sounds like an alignment issue to me.  A number of things could be causing this, including:

1.  items behind the drawer, keeping it from closing correctly.
2.  items under the drawer, causing a misalignment in the drawer.
3.  Loose drawer slides, possibly "sagging" slightly - enough to cause a drawer misalignment.

You can test the drawer with it "OPEN", release the detent mechanism to extend the locking bolts, and then lock the lock.   
Open the lock to test it, and turn the handle to retract the locking bolts and activate the detent device.

If everything operates correctly, then the problem is NOT in the bolt work or lock.

Next remove the drawer to inspect behind it and under it.   Also check the drawer slide attachment points, to ensure that it held in place correctly.    If the drawer slides are NOT securely attached to the inner sides of the cabinet, they will cause alignment problems.

If you still can't find any thing, it may be time to have a safe technician, who has GSA container training, inspect it to locate the actual issues.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)