Locksmithing/Mosler Safe TL Rating

I have acquired a Mosler Model #05 double door media safe 77"H x 54"W X 34"D and I would like to know how a BP280 relocking devise converts to a TL rating at todays' standards. In addition what would you think this safe weighs approx?

Thanks for you time,
Tommy W

sorry, but you are trying to mix apples and oranges,   The UL labels provide information concerning SPECIFIC items or ratings.   In this case the "Relocking" device is an extra item, NOT required on fire resistive safes, to provide protection against a forcing attack.   It has NOTHING to do with TL standards, ratings or testing methods.

Media safes are basically fire resistive safes, with extra heat resistant capabilities.   Normal fire resistive safes are designed to keep the interior temperature below 350 degrees F. for the period specified.   Media safes are designed to keep the interior temperature below 150 degrees F, for the period specified.

If the safe does NOT have a UL label for the specified fire resistance, then regardless of what its capabilities, IT DOES NOT MEET THE STANDARD!

Ratings on older safes DO NOT convert to current ratings.   In fact we have a rule of thumbs that if a safe is over 50 years old, it does NOT meet the standards which it was tested at orginally.   UL is not as generous as we are, and I believe their standard is 25 years old.  

Bottom line, if the container does not have a UL TL-15 label, then is considered to NOT be a rated safe.    Old safes were NOT built to the same standards as today.   In some cases they were better, but you have to remember the tools that were available 50+ years ago, were not as capable as the tools that available today.

As far as weight,   I would expect a data (media) Safe, the size you have indicated, to weigh in around 5000 to 6000 lbs.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)