Locksmithing/old safe (safe cabinet laboratory)

We (American Legion post) have a old safe cabinet laboratory inspection 4017 the combination lock is out, we have it just not in the place it belongs. we are looking to sell it. have no clue if it's worth anything.
I have read about the asbestos and hope we can still sell this safe.
about 6' tall and two doors 4' across and 2' deep.
ball park $$$ is all we are looking for.

First thing that I would recommend would be for you to check your states HAZMAT regulations concerning selling of items, transporting or disposal of items containing Asbestos.   There may be serious restrictions, depending on your state.

Second item.   These containers do not meet current standards for fire resistance, they are NOT a burglary resistive safe, and they have no commercial or retail value.   As the lock is also not installed, this would need to be operational for it to have any possible worth.   Obviously you will incur the cost of a safe technician to have the lock correctly installed and working - this would add "negative value" to the container.

As these containers have no "worth" for either burglary or fire resistance, it basically is just a "security locker", though it would also make a good flammable storage locker for paint or similar items.

If you were in my area, we would be charging you between $400 to $500 to haul it away for disposal.

Sorry the news isn't what you hoped for.

Again, check with your local HAZMAT laws or regulations to determine what your options might be.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)