Locksmithing/Removing very old deadbolt locks

Question
QUESTION: Patrick, I recently purchased a cottage which had two deadbolt locks.  They must be old, because there is no screws on the inside thumb latch.  There is no name on either lock and the key holes have been capped.  I want to replace with new deadbolts.  Thanks to the Internet and trial and error, I determined that the key portion and the inside latch actually screw out of the door!  I have never seen such a thing.  There remain inside two pieces of threaded cylinder about 1/4" each, one for outside part and one for inside latch.  The deadbolt is still in place, even though i took out the faceplate and the screws.  How do I remove the deadbolt and the cylinders inside the door?  I just bought a Weiser to replace it, if I can remove the old one.  Thanks very much for volunteering your time to help a do-it-yourselfer!

ANSWER: It would be much easier for me to identify what you have from images. If you can send some I will do my best to advise you.

Sorry about your choice with the Black and Decker lock maybe it is Weiser, or maybe it's re-labelled Kwikset would you know?..., in either case, it might prove to be of much greater value, if you called a locksmith to service the locks in place, rather than removing potentially valuable hardware and replacing it with subgrade Big Box Store ....SHHTUFF... LOL! Honestly I do not mind helping with DIY projects at all, but sometimes that means pointing out an oversight in your thinking. You just bought this property???, is it not worth the investment to ensure it remains as safe and secure as possible? I understand saving where you can but sometimes it costs more later and you don't see it coming. Again, send me the pics and I will do my best to advise you what you have and how to best address your situation.

Patrick D. Harrington

QUESTION: Thank you Patrick.  I hope the photos will come through here.  The front of the lock is capped and there is nothing on the back, just threads to screw it in.  I could only attach two photos.  I acquired this old farmhouse (1831) last summer and did hire a locksmith because there were no keys to the doors.  He suggested re-keying and did one Yale lock but could not do anything with these, so just capped them so they could not be picked. I am reluctant to pay him again to come back to remove the locks.  There is no other locksmith in the area.  Someone broke into the cottage before I purchased it and I have replaced the door jam and frame.  I will replace the doors in a couple of years when i can afford to replace with good quality.  ( These are solid wood 1.5" thick)
I can return the lock and buy another.

Answer
The pictures did not come through, It is a shame that the only remedy your locksmith had for you did not really serve your needs, I can relate to your reluctance to have him revisit. 1.5" is kind of thin for an exterior door the standard on the low side is 1 3/4" but that is another story, I am puzzled about what type of hardware you have on these doors that could not be serviced or replaced? Try to send pictures again.

Patrick

Locksmithing

Patrick D. Harrington