Locksmithing/Russwin Residential Lockset from 1950's

Question
russwin lockset
russwin lockset  
James, I am remodeling a home, and having trouble trying to figure out how to remove the lockset on the front dutch entry door.  I attached a picture.  I noted on the picture the hole which I thought may be a lockset screw, but it is simply a hole to the flange which sets inside that "bushing". You're help would be greatly appreciated, thanks,
Stanley Groves

Answer
Hello Stan,

That looks like a commercial grade lock.  Some of those were installed using a spanner wrench.  It fits around the rose (the plate against the door) and allows you to unscrew it (the rose).  I've seen some that you have to unscrew the rose then reach behind it to depress a spring-loaded retainer to remove the inside knob.  Sometimes though if you turn the knob left and right, somewhere will be a retainer that you can see from the hole you pointed out.  Depress the retainer, wherever it is, as you pull off the inside knob.  Under the rose will be either mounting screws or some way that you should be able to see clearer to remove the outside assembly.

If you don't have a spanner wrench, use a small screwdriver and hammer and pound the rose in the counter-clockwise direction but before you do that, try turning the knob and find a retainer through the hole.

James

Locksmithing

James