Locksmithing/Safelock 505

Question
We lost the combination while changing batteries, and now the safe will not lock or open with the old combination.  When we enter the combination the green lights come on but the plunger does not come down to lock the safe.

How do we start over?

tag on the inside of the combination is as follows:
SAFELOCK 505
505642 VI 5-REV.2.2
PA1006327
someone has hand written 6327 on as well.

Answer
Garfield,

The majority of the "good" quality digital locks use "ROM" type memory so that they do not lose the code during battery changing.   Unless you have some really cheap electronics on your safe, it should NOT lose the combination when changing the batteries.

If the safe door is locked open, and you can't get the lock to reset or even work, then it may not be a "lost combo" issue, it may be a lock failure.

As manufacturers do not sell individual pieces or parts for electronic locks (and even most mechanical locks), it may be necessary to replace the lock with a newer version.

NOTE:   DO NOT close and lock the safe until you have verified that the lock is operating correctly.

if you still can't get it to work correctly, then you will need to have it looked at by a local safe company.

Bottom line - digital locks either WORK or they DON'T - there isn't anything in between!   If it isn't a battery issue, then it may be time for a replacement.

Sorry I can't be of more help - but generally problems like this are hands on diagnostics, repairs and/or replacement.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)