Locksmithing/Safelock 505

We lost the combination while changing batteries, and now the safe will not lock or open with the old combination.  When we enter the combination the green lights come on but the plunger does not come down to lock the safe.

How do we start over?

tag on the inside of the combination is as follows:
505642 VI 5-REV.2.2
someone has hand written 6327 on as well.

The majority of the "good" quality digital locks use "ROM" type memory so that they do not lose the code during battery changing.   Unless you have some really cheap electronics on your safe, it should NOT lose the combination when changing the batteries.

If the safe door is locked open, and you can't get the lock to reset or even work, then it may not be a "lost combo" issue, it may be a lock failure.

As manufacturers do not sell individual pieces or parts for electronic locks (and even most mechanical locks), it may be necessary to replace the lock with a newer version.

NOTE:   DO NOT close and lock the safe until you have verified that the lock is operating correctly.

if you still can't get it to work correctly, then you will need to have it looked at by a local safe company.

Bottom line - digital locks either WORK or they DON'T - there isn't anything in between!   If it isn't a battery issue, then it may be time for a replacement.

Sorry I can't be of more help - but generally problems like this are hands on diagnostics, repairs and/or replacement.

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)