Locksmithing/5052 Safe

Question
We have a safe that Was bought several years back and we use at our church.  Recently during some remodeling, some one turned the dial or something and now we can't get it to open.  We never used the combination because we had the key.  Shouldn't this thing open with only the key or do we have to apply someway to get the combination.  I don't have it with me but I can provide the serial number if needed.

Roger Fouse
Douglassville, Texas

Answer
Roger,

Generally the key is used as a day lock or for dual custody (one person has the combo, another the key).   Bottom line is that you HAVE to use the combination to open the safe.   If you don't have the combination, your options are limited.

If you can ID the safe manufacturer, and IF they are still in business, you can try to contact them to see if they have a record of the combination.
Second option - you can try all of the possibly 1,000,000 combinations to open the safe.   At 500 per day, this would only take you about 5.5 years.
third option would be to have a safe technician from a local safe company (not a locksmith) open the safe and recover the combination for you.

There are no records available on the internet for obvious security and liability reasons.   Manufacturers NEVER publish or release this info.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I might know in your area that I could recommend.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)