Locksmithing/Deadlock, Thumb handle will not come off

Question
Hi James,

I'm having a similar problem to Diannes. I'm trying to remove my qwikset deadlock, and I can't seem to hit the "spring" to release the thumb-turn handle. There are no exterior screws, and the only way to release the handle is to stick a paperclip or something into the little hole on the side of the thumb-turn handle. If there's anything you can think of that could help me, I'd be greatly appreciative. Thank you

Answer
Hello Dylan,

Kwikset deadbolts utilize a set screw in the thumbturn, not a set pin.

Insert an allen wrench into the set screw and turn counter-clockwise until you can pull the thumbturn off.  Some models use a plastic retainer instead of an allen screw so just pull that out.

Once the thumbturn is off, pry up the plate to reveal the mounting screws.

James

(if this doesn't help, reply with a photo)

Locksmithing

James