Locksmithing/Mosler and Bahmann opening help

Question
Handle and lock
Handle and lock  
I have an old safe that I have not been able to open.  I believe its because I am not entering the combination correctly. Here are the details about the safe:

The dial reads Mosler Bahmann & CO   Cincin O
Pat'D
July 25 1871
Sept 2 1873
July 29 1874
Sept 7 1880
2 Nov 2 1880
July 18 1882

The lever will freely spin and the combination wheel seems to rotate freely until you rotate it 4 of 5 times then it has a little bit more resistance to it. Does this mean its a Yale lock?

The combination I have for the safe is R -20 - L 4 times to 80. This combination was wrote down in 3 places so I believe it is correct. The previous owner had troubles opening the safe with this combination but has opened with these numbers before. Do you have any suggestions or tips as to how I would enter in the 2 number combination? I thought safes of this age usually had 4 numbers.

Thank you for your time,

Mike

Answer
Mike,   

The lock on your Mosler, Bahmann & Company Safe is the Yale 062-1/2, indirect drive, four wheel lock.

The correct dialing sequence would be:

5 times right to the first number, 20
4 times left to the second number, 80
3 times right to the third number, ___
2 times left to the fourth number, ___
1 time right until the dial stops - the handle should NOW be engaged.   Turn it to open the safe.    If the handle is still free spinning, then chance are you don't have the correct combination.

If the lock is only set up for two numbers the dialing sequence would be:

5 times right to the first number, 20
4 times left to the second number, 80
1 times right until the dial stops - the handle should now be engaged.

Note:   left is counter clockwise, right is clockwise,   do not count the revolutions of the dial count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

Safe locks can be set up to any sequence of numbers.   If you only wanted a single number, then all of the combination wheels would simply be set to the same number.   In your case, it appears that wheels 2, 3 and 4 are possibly all set to 80.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)