Locksmithing/How to open safe.

Question
I have a Vanguard 2.0 fire safe which has been opening fine until now. I have only the first 3 numbers of the combination and have always just turned the knob back until it stopped for the final number and the safe opened fine. Now it won't. Are the tumblers sticking or can you offer a solution?
Thanks, James

Answer
James,

Unfortunately mechanical problems require "hands on" diagnostics and solutions.   Without having your safe here in my hot little hands, I have no idea WHAT the actual problem is.

In general there are ONLY three problems for a safe lock NOT opening, in order they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers or out of sequence numbers,
3.  mechanical problems.

"IF" you have the correct combination, and "IF" you are dialing it correctly, then the conclusion would be that you may have a mechanical problem.

"IF" the safe has been opening fine until recently, then again it would point to a mechanical problem.

While you can keep dialing to see if it will open, chances are you have only two solutions:
1.  Have a safe technician from a local safe company come to you, to check the safe out, and open or repair it.
2.  Take the safe to a local safe company to have their safe technician check the safe out, and open or repair it.

Obviously field service is more expensive than your taking the safe to the safe company, but if it is a big safe, or you can not move it, then your options would be limited.

For home use, the safe should be serviced EVERY 3 to 5 years, OR at a minimum, when YOU start to notice a problem.   waiting until the safe won't open, usually isn't a solution.

Again, if you can't get it to open by dialing the correct combination correctly, then you will need a safe technician.

If you don't have a local safe company, then let me know where you are located (zipcode) and I'll see who I know or might recommend.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but this needs some "hands on work"!

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)