Locksmithing/How to remove deadbolt with 2 round places the size of screw heads covering the screws.

Question
Hello James,

I see an answer from you mentioning about a deadbolt:

"That is unless you see 2 round plates the size of screw heads at the 9 and 3 o'clock positions.  If you see those, you will need to remove those plates and that can be extremely difficult but it should be possible."

I am trying to remove a 2-side keyed deadbolt, and it has the exact 2 round places like you describe. Any tip on how to remove those place to get access to the screw?

Thanks,
Albert

Answer
Hello Albert,

Just so I'm clear, you have 2 things that look like tacks on the inside housing of your deadbolt, right?

Pry those off with a probe or screwdriver.

If you have two things that look like holes but inside the holes are plates, insert a working key into the inside cylinder and turn until the plate moves out of the way of the screw heads then you can remove the screws.

James

Locksmithing

James