Locksmithing/safe repair

I have a Remington R-23 that someone tried to break into, they were't successful at getting into it but the lock was broken inside. Could you possibly give me a ball park figure on what it would cost to repair, or would I be better off to buy a new safe. I have had the safe about 12 years.

Sure - $12,000,000         Ok, that's just a "ball park" number, or possibly an "out of the ball park number", but -  #1 without seeing the safe, I have no idea the extent of the damage, and #2 you are talking about an obsolete safe and obsolete parts.

Remington-Rand safes were acquired in 1955 by the Sperry Corp and the safe division closed down.  So, locks and parts for your safe are no longer available.   Any parts which might be available would have been salvaged off of other old safes which have been scrapped.   As there is no "listing" of these parts, after identifying what you actually have and/or need, you would then have to contact numerous lock and safe companies to see if you can even find these parts.

Problems with your safe, and repairing it.   #1 safes over 50 years old DO NOT meet any current standards for fire or burglary resistance.   #2 your safe used asbestos as an insulation material.   #3 obsolete parts may be difficult to locate.

Bottom line - depending on how quickly you need your safe "available", it would probably be better to buy a newer safe.

Your safe was a "fire resistive" only safe, not designed for any type of burglary resistance, except the BARE minimum.    If you are considering purchasing a replacement safe, I would recommend learning about how safes are actually built, rated and tested, so that YOU can make an informed decision concerning a replacement safe, and not simply buying the first "cheap" safe at one of the big box stores.

If you would like me to evaluate the damage to your safe, and/or the lock, I will need to see photos of what you have.   In addition to overall photos, I will need detail pics of the damage area, dial area, lock & bolt work areas, and any areas that you would like me to look at.    Make sure that your photos are accompanied with any applicable narrative of what you have questions about.

Send the photos directly to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)