Locksmithing/Schlage M45

Question
Knob
Knob  
I have an old schlage M45 door knob. I need to remove the knob with the key but the key cylinder has broken so when i turn the key the key just spins. Is there another way to remove the knob in order to remove the defective key cylinder?

Answer
Hi. Where did you get the M45 number? It's not a model I am familiar with. With the screw on rose it looks like it might be a D line lock

Schlage grade 1 & 2 locks can be taken apart once you have them out of the door.

It requires complete dis-assembly to get to the cylinder. You can then put it back together with a new cylinder.

You should be able to find a Schlage manual online that will show you how to take it apart.

Just do it over a towel or piece of carpet. There are springs and small parts that you don't want to go flying.

Dan

Locksmithing

Dan Terrigno