Locksmithing/Schlage Mortise Leverset - Remove

Question
Hello -

I have to replace just the cylinder on my Schlage mortise leverset (installed circa 1984).  It looks like this model: http://w3.securitytechnologies.com/IRSTDocs/InstallInstructions/108367.pdf

Do I have to remove the whole lock from the door, or is it possible to just replace the cylinder?  If I have to remove the whole thing, how do I remove the "spacer plates" - the gold rings between the handles and the doors?  They are on so tightly that I can't even wedge a razor blade between them and the door, on either side, to remove.  I've tried unscrewing them and I've also scraped away all paint from the area and don't see anywhere to insert a pin or otherwise remove them.

Any videos or instructions online that can walk me through the process or illustrate how to remove this?

Thanks!

Answer
Hello Kate,

Remove the 2 screws on the lock edge - open the door and look on the door edge you will see them.

Find the small hole in the lock center that is in line with the key cylinder.  Insert a small screwdriver and loosen the set screw inside that small hole.  As you do, insert a screwdriver or existing key into the lock cylinder and turn counter-clockwise (if you use an existing key, insert it into the cylinder half way in). If the cylinder doesn't turn, loosen the set screw more until it does.

You do not have to remove the levers and roses to remove the cylinder.

James

Locksmithing

James