Locksmithing/Shaw-Walker safe

Question
I have an old Shaw-Walker safe with a S&G lock.  I have been able to open it in the past, but am now unable to open it.

I saw in your response to another person you listed the manner in which to turn the dial for a S&G lock.  The original instructions said to go past the third number, then go to Zero and flip the knob within the lock.  

So there are three numbers, then zero.  Your instructions said to turn it to the right until it stopped.  Did you mean after going to zero.

Thank you

Answer
Olivia,

Shaw-Walker - like many manufacturers, used several different types of locks, which is one reason that I always tell people NOT to read someone else's answer, and try to apply it to there safe - it may or may not be the same.

I would rather deal with your problem and safe individually so that the solution is for YOUR safe.

If your lock has the "butterfly" knob in the center of the dial, it was a manipulation resistive type lock.   The dialing sequence would depend on whether your lock is a three wheel or four wheel version.   As you have three numbers yours would probably be the three wheel version.   the dialing sequence should be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right to "0" - stop,   while holding the dial at "0", turn the butterfly knob 1/4 turn, THEN continue to turn the dial right until it stops.

IF the combination was correct, the safe will open, if not then it won't - regardless, after turning the butterfly knob, the dial WILL come to a stop.

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock won't open, in order they are:

1.   incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors,
2.   incorrect combination, wrong numbers,
3.   mechanical problems.

If you can't get your combination to work, then you may need to have it checked out by a safe technician (NOT a locksmith).    Hopefully you are just making a dialing error, if not the container may have to be drilled.

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)