Locksmithing/star floor safe model C17K serial 111255

Question
I have combo to safe however dialing it in is the problem since found the face plate which has the markings unscrewed put still with the safe.  Now I have tried the combination with the face plate in both possible positions but it still is not opening.  I want to keep using if possible but I think I just might have to cut the damn thing open, can ya toss me bone here?

Answer
Travis,

I assume that you are talking about a Star "C" type round door, with the removable dial, which pushes down.

All I can do is to give you the correct dialing sequence.

there are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock will not open - in order, they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, (operator errors)
2.  Incorrect combination, (wrong numbers)
3.  Mechanical problems.

As you can see the biggest problem is simply operator errors, NOT dialing the combination correctly.   Obviously if the face plate was installed in the wrong position, you would have to try dialing it correctly in both places.  The sequence is:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right - stopping at "0"  (or 100) - push in on the dial and continue turning right until it stops, about 75.

Note:  Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

As you didn't provide the combination that you are using, I have no way of trying to figure out what you might be doing incorrectly, so I have to provide you with the correct dialing sequence for the door which I believe you are using.

I also have to assume that you may not have the correct numbers.   You didn't indicate whether or not you have ever actually opened the safe using the numbers that you have.    Finding it with the dial ring and pull handle plate removed either means that you found it this way, or someone has been attempting to open it up.    If you found the safe in this condition, then it is very possible that you don't have the correct combination for this safe.

Lastly, if you ARE dialing it correctly, and if you DO have the correct combination, if it still won't open, then it may have mechanical problems.

In any of the above cases, if it still won't open, then you need the services of a trained safe technician (NOT a locksmith).   As far as "cutting" it open, if it is installed in concrete, the way it should be, then good luck with that idea.   I've had to open many of these round door safes, where locksmiths who had no idea what they were doing, thought they would do the same thing, and they didn't get into the safe either.    All they managed to do was ruin an expensive door.

Cost to have the safe opened should run around $350 to $500.   Cost to replace a ruined door could easily run an additional $450 to $500.

Hopefully you are only making a simple dialing error, if not you will need a safe technician.   If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zipcode), and I'll see who I know in your area.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)