Locksmithing/Broken Deadbolt lock

Question
Hello, I have a deadbolt on a door that when I turned the handle, the bolt did not move.  I proceeded to remove the 2 screws and it still does not unlock the door.  I don't understand how this happened as I unlocked the deadbolt, came back inside, locked the deadbolt and when I went to go out again 15 minutes later this happened.  Therefore I cannot open the door.

Answer
It sounds like Bolt failure, If the thumb turn inside does not retract the bolt it is very likely to be failure of the bolt. If you have difficulty removing it yourself call a locksmith and they can also replace it with a far more dependable UL listed product. People always ask me why door hardware is "fire rated" or cycle tested for grading Imagine you were needing to exit that door right now because your home was engulfed in flames................that is why!

The cam that the tailpiece passes through is likely fractured and will not retract the bolt if you remove the cylinder and use a small hook you may be able to manually retract the bolt, DO NOT USE FORCE! if you do not get it call a locksmith the more damage you do the harder it will be for a professional to deal with. if the bolt is difficult to retrieve, make sure there is no tension on the bolt due to thick weather stripping "pushing on the door. You can do this by pushing or leaning slightly on the door so it does not bind in the strike opening.

feel free to call if you need to.

Patrick D. Harrington

http://www.HarringtonsLocksmith.com

416.467.5625

The service you received from the Locksmith you PAID to handle you problem was the service you were ENTITLED too, it is very unreasonable for you to demand the expedient "handling" of your query on a FREE information website. All of the information shared here is on a volunteer basis, in my case it is when I have time to spare aside from my professional and domestic responsibilities that I share my time and knowledge, But you are welcome!

Locksmithing

Patrick D. Harrington