Locksmithing/Gary Floor Safe

Floor Safe
Floor Safe  
QUESTION: I have a very old Gary floor safe that I haven't opened in years & cannot remember the numbers. I'll give you whatever info you need.

Can't believe I had two back to back questions about the same type safe door, within an hour of each other.

Sorry the Gary Safe company is no longer in business.   They merged with Allied Security to form Allied Gary in the early 1980's, and later expanded to become Allied Gary International, before being acquired by NKL Industries, who was then acquired by FireKing International in the early 1990's.    While FireKing International still manufacture's safes under the "Gary" logo, this is NOT the same company, and none of the original documents or records exist.

If you don't have the combination, then you basically have two options, either you can:

1.  Test all of the possible combinations available, in this case, you only have 1,000,000 possible variations to go through.   At 500 per day, every day, it should only take about 5.5 years.

2.  Have the safe opened by a safe technician from a local safe company - NOT a locksmith.   As there are NO repair parts available for this door, you need to make sure that the safe is opened with no unrepairable damage.    If they can't open it and guarantee that it will be repaired and operational afterwards, then you shouldn't be using them.

If you don't have a local safe company, let me know where you are located (zip code), and I'll see who I know and/or might recommend in your area.

QUESTION: I know this safe has never had the combo changed from factory setting... Can you please provide me with those factory set numbers..? I'd be forever in your debt if you could help me!

you must have misunderstood my original post.  At no time did I indicate that any original factory combinations were available.    In fact I stated that NONE of the original records exist.

The two options were for you to test ALL combinations that could possibly be set on the lock, or to have a safe technician open it for you.

Theoretically,  there are 1,000,000 possible combinations.     Testing 500 every day could take up to 5.5 years to test  them all.

If you choose this method,  you will need to set up a spread sheet (excel or something similar), with all the variations,  and then start dialing.
This isn't something I'm going to provide you with,  unless you are going to pay for my time to set it up.    Sorry.

Manufacturers never publish any records for obvious security and liability reasons.  This would include serial number info and especially combinations.   As I indicated, once they are no longer in business,  the records are also no longer available.

Sorry there isn't another option to offer you.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)