Locksmithing/Gary safe

Hello:  we purchased this safe 15 years ago, moved a few times and have lost the combination, the safe has been  locked for a number of years with nothing in it. The serial number is 9573, is there any way that I can find the combination or have someone open it without damaging the safe.  The safe is grey in color and measures 24 inches wide 28 inches deep and 39 inches tall.  Any information will be appreciated.  THANK YOU,  DAN

Unfortunately, manufacturers never publish any records regarding serial numbers or combinations, for obvious security and liability reasons.   When they go out of business, any records that they do have are also lost forever.   Even if they were available, the records would ONLY reflect the original combination the safe left the factory set on.   If it had ever been changed for a customer, then the factory records would be useless.    Locksmith and safe companies do not keep records (at least they shouldn't) of customers combinations, so if you don't have the combination, then there is no record for this safe.

This leaves you with two options, you can either try all of the 1,000,000 possible combinations that could be set on your lock, or you can have it opened, repaired and the combination recovered or reset to a new combination, by a safe technician from a local safe company.

Testing all of the possible combinations would only take you about 5.5 years, testing 500 each day, so this could be a long term DIY project - hopefully you would run across the correct combination before you tested them all.

The safe appears to be one of Gary's fire resistive models, so it should be easy enough for a safe technician to open for you.   

Note:   I never recommend using locksmiths for safe work as they generally don't have the training, knowledge or tools and can cause excessive damage or charge exhorbant fees.

I would recommend that you contact a local safe company in your area to discuss having the safe opened.   If you don't have one, I would need to know where you are located (zipcode) to see whom I might know or recommend.

Manipulation of this lock is a possibility, however you may not have anyone in your area that is trained or proficient, which means the safe may have to be drilled.   Drilling when done correctly will not damage, ruin or destroy the safe or lock, and the small (usually 1/4" or smaller hole), can easily be repaired.   Any one that indicates that they will cause excessive damage or ruin the safe opening it should probably not be used.

Hope this gives you some answers and a direction to proceed.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)