Locksmithing/Ideal Security lock disassembly

I have a door with an older lock, and a key broken off on the inside of the house. Hence, I cannot unlock the door from the inside of the house. I bought this lock approx 1978 or 79. I have had it apart before, but have lost the instructions now. The only identifications I can find on it are on the front saying "Ideal Security" on the front. It is rectangular shaped and all of the locking mechanism itself is on the inside of the door with s mechanism that slides into 2 round loops bolted to the door frame. It also has a "night lock" where if a rectangular slide is moved to the right after locking, the lock cannot be unlocked from the outside. I need to disassemble it to get the key out, but cannot figure out how to get the handle off, as there are no screws. I can send a picture of it, if you need. Thanks for any help.

Hello Robert,

To remove a double cylinder lock of this brand, turn the key on the inside to expose the small slot opening. Find a steel pin, or allen wrench, that will fit into the slot and push straight in. You will depress a small metal flap, which will allow the inside housing to rotate about 15 degrees to its release position. The screws are then accessible.

Since your key is broken off inside the cylinder, you'll have to either remove it first or use what's in there in addition to the remaining part you have to turn the cylinder to be able to access the retainer hole.

If you can't turn the cylinder, you can't remove the handle.  You'll have to hire a locksmith to remove it in this case.

I do not answer Safe or automotive questions. Period. I am knowledgeable in almost every area of Locksmithing. This includes locks, keys, lost keys, residential and commercial lockouts, rekeying, masterkeying, high security locks, access control, electric locks, security cameras and home safety. I have been running an online business since 2004 where I sell all types of lock and security hardware to everyone from apartment renters to business owners to the US government. Before that I started a locksmith service in 1999. I deal with many types of security equipment including high security safe locks, heavy duty padlocks, exit devices, biometric readers, electric strikes, magnetic locks, full surface hinges and I only sell what I personally stand behind 100%. The online business has given me a more in-depth look at the locksmithing industry, helping me to learn more about each and every product that I offer, as well as products I don't have but end up finding for customers to solve any issues they have with security or door hardware.

Please don't submit any automotive or safe questions as these aren't areas that I can help in.

I have been Locksmithing since 1999 and own my own Locksmithing business. I have many years of hands-on experience through the many services I have performed for my customers. I've run my business the way I wanted, treating everyone as I would like to be treated and knowing that any customer could be my last if I didn't perform my locksmithing duties as I had promised.

I have a diploma in Masterkeying, Advanced Locksmithing & Locksmithing from Foley-Belsaw.

US government, colleges, schools, city and state governments, large and small corporations, home owners.