Locksmithing/Security Wall Safe Co Boston Mass safe

Just bought a house in Connecticut last month and there is  safe in one of the bedroom closets. The dial reads SECURITY WALL SAFE CO. BOSTON MASS. The house was built in 1958 and the previous owners was the daughter of first owner and she said she never had the combination but her father did who passed many years ago.

The dial has 16612 on the it.

Would like to have it opened to use again but not sure where to start.

I could not find much information on it so any help would be much appreciated!

Hi Greg,

You've got a couple of options, you can try all of the possible combinations, or you can have it opened by a local safe company (not a locksmith).

I would recommend option one.

There are only two combination wheels and a drive wheel, so it won't take long to go through all the possible combinations.   I would recommend skipping every other number to make it go quicker, and if it doesn't open, you can simply try the other half.

The Correct dialing sequence is as follows:

3 times right to the first number,
2 times left to the second number,
1 time right slowly until the dial stops - pull the door open.

If the dial doesn't stop, that wasn't the correct combination - try another.

Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.   Do not count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

While there are about 10,000 possible combinations, the gates in the wheels are fairly wide, so every other number should be close enough and lower the number to about 2500 combinations to test.   

worst case if you can't get it to open, would be to have a safe technician from a local safe company open it for you.

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)