Locksmithing/STATS floor safe

safe 2
safe 2  
Dear sir I have been given a round STATS floor safe from a friend who took it out of a house he had bought. The safe was open when he gave it to me so the top is off but locked .
Anyway can you give me any info on resetting the combination on it. I think it needs a special "key" for the back of it to change the code. I found a company called STAR but not STATS. So I'm attaching pics also. Thanks Richard

The companies name was "STAR",  they are currently produced by AMSEC (American Security Products) in Fontana, CA.

This safe takes a special "changing key", however as you don't know the combination, the lock will have to be partially disassembled in order to recover or reset the combination.

I NEVER recommend any type of safe lock disassembly as a DIY project for the same reason that I never recommend using a locksmith for safe work.   Lack of knowledge, training and tools can result in a VERY expensive lock out.

For the cost of the instructions and tool, most safe companies will reset the combination for you, and guarantee its operation.

While I don't have a problem selling you the tool and instructions, I have a hold harmless form that you will need to sign prior to release of these items.   Also, the instructions ONLY work if you already have a working combination.

As recommended, contact a local safe company to have their safe tech, reset the combination for you.    If you still want the instructions and tool, I would be happy to provide them.   Cost is $50 plus shipping & handling.   Send your request to me at:    andy@securitysafeusa.com    
I'll send you the hold harmless form.   Upon receipt of the form I can send you the tool and instruction.

Hope this helps,

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)