Locksmithing/Steelage Safe

Hello I asked this question to Patrick D. Harrington and his relpy back was he doesn't answer homework question.........which is a bit annoying since I am 25 and am not enrolled in school just trying to sell a safe for my company.  

I do help you can be of some assistance because I have tried to find some information online and have found none- I don't even know where to start a selling point.....please see below question....

Hello,I found question asked by another person her which is along my lines. I am trying to sell a Steelage safe for my company and I have no information on it,along with no model number. The demensions are 24inch X 24inch X 32inch. The safe is green front with grey sides, there is a large metal plate semi in the middle with a comindation lock on top and a tri spion handle. Do you know any more information you could give, perhaps a selling point too.
Any information you might have would be helpful,

Hi Kay,

I'm more than happy to try to help you out, which is why I'm volunteering here.   I'm not sure why others volunteer and then don't offer any useful suggestions.

As far as helping you sell the safe, sorry but I don't do that.   This site is not useful to you, in that even if someone sees your posting, they have no way of contacting you.   This site wipes any information concerning your personal information for security and liability reasons.

As to "selling" the safe, you need to sell it just like you would ANY other item - advertise, advertise, advertise.    Ebay, Craigs List, Want ads etc. are ways of getting the word out, however you have a big "negative" going against you - you need to sell the safe.

Safes like a SteelAge safe, might sit around in a Safe companies showroom for several years before it sells - so you can easily triple the difficulty for an individual trying to sell it.   While we can have a dozen people each day go through our showroom, and still not sell it, you are going to be lucky to have a dozen semi interested people even check on the safe.

Next big problem is the safe itself.    SteelAge safes were made in India, though they haven't been made in at least 20 years now, which means they are NOT current production, and no parts are available for repairs.   Additionally the majority of the SteelAge safes were NEVER UL rated.   If your safe doesn't have a UL TL-15, TL-30, or a TRTL-30X6 rating on it, then it already has three strikes against it.
If it does have a UL rating, you MIGHT get a local safe company to buy it from you, however it will be at a far lower price than you may be hoping for.   After all, they are in the business of SELLING safes not buying them, and they have to make a profit on it after storing it for several years prior to selling it.
If the container does not have a UL rating, then the safe company may charge you to haul it away.   Even if they elect to sell it later, it would have to be as a non-rated safe, regardless of how well it is made, and/or what your employer was using it for.

Probably the best bet assuming that you need to sell it rather quickly, would be to offer it at a reduced price to employees or close by neighbors.   this way it is easier to drop off flyers describing the container.

Last big obstacle would be the weight of the safe.   Obviously new owners are going to be saddled with a bill, to have it moved from its current location to their location.   Anything over 500 lbs, I would recommend it being moved by an actual safe company due to the weight and possible special equipment necessary.    As noted, this is a negative buying point, which may have potential buyers walking away.

Depending on how serious the owner is about selling the safe, I've given you some options and ideas for moving it.   If they are more interested in obtaining the highest $$$ value possible, then they had also better be prepared to sit on the safe for  a significant period of time, waiting for the right buyer to pop up.

Hopefully I've given you some ideas to start with.   Obviously the most important questions you need answered, up front, would be:   How fast you need it to go away, and how little you are willing to let it go for.

Last option would be to donate it to some place that may need a safe, like a local school, or the city or county treasurers office, etc. etc. etc.    Again you will still need to figure out the "moving/delivery" costs, but if you need the safe to go away, donating this also, will help it "begone"!

Best of luck.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)