Locksmithing/aprox 1901 Taylor safe

QUESTION: unable to lock safe

Sorry, but my wife broke my crystal ball about the same time she killed my money tree!   LOL

Without "MUCH" more info, I would have no idea why your safe won't lock, though I can make some assumptions:

1.  Something inside the safe, may be keeping the door from closing correctly.
2.  Something may be caught in the door jam, again, keeping it from closing correctly.
3.  Is the bolt work retracted?    If not, is the lock actually unlocked - completely???    If not then the lock MUST be unlocked and fully retracted to allow the bolt work to retract, so the door will close.
4.  Is something inside the safe, blocking one or more of the locking bolts from extending correctly.

Mechanical problems generally require hands on diagnostics and solutions.     My recommendation, if you can't see what is keeping it from operating correctly, will be to have you contact a local safe company to have their trained, professional safe technician, inspect, service and/or repair your safe, returning it to fully operational condition.

Sorry, I can't be of further help, but you haven't given me any pertinent information to work from.

QUESTION: Sorry   Safe is a 1900 +- Taylor used in films refinished but missing a cam to make it lock  I'm in Toronto

The lock on the safe is either an S&G C60 series or the later model a 6810, with the rotary bolt.

The item missing (pictured) is the lever/bolt assembly NOT the cam (drive wheel).    Are you missing this item, or the drive wheel????

Generally we don't part out locks, we sell complete units, if we have them.    Your other option would be to have the part machined.

but, I will need to know exactly what item you need.

QUESTION: Yes I guess I need lever bolt assembly . What would be price to machine one , and would I be able to set new combination myself ? I have had the safe for quite a while and never locked it but it is a good looking rec room piece
Thanks Allan

Hi Al,

I will need to know how many wheels in your lock - three or four???    Don't count the drive wheel.

So three wheels plus the drive wheel = a three wheel lock.
four wheels plus the drive wheel = a four wheel lock.

I'll see what pieces and parts I have, and/or try to figure a price to make one up for you.    I've got a small home machine shop, and access to an industrial machine shop next to our store.

Please send me a request email to:

So that I can contact you easier, and to remind me to look for the part.    I'm in the field for the next couple days, and by the time I get in, I won't remember this posting.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)