Locksmithing/best lever handle lockset

Question
I have a best lever handle lockset . I would like to know how to remove the cylinder to get it rekeyed . Are the pins in this lockset the same size as many others or are they smaller like the best cores ?

Answer
Hello Ron,

If the cylinder is a standard one and not an IC Core, insert the existing key and turn it 90 degrees, insert a probe tool into the small hole in the lever, push the probe tool to release the retainer then pull the lever off.  This works for most commercial lever and knob locks.

If you have an IC Core type lock you'll have to remove the core with a control key.  If you have no control key you don't have many options so I'd recommend taking the lock to a locksmith.

Your standard cylinder will pin with regular pins.  An IC Core cylinder should be rekeyed with IC Core pins to make it work properly.

James

Locksmithing

James