Locksmithing/Brinks 5702 Fire Resistant Safe

Question
I have two of these safes and I wanna know what it would cost me to get them re-calibrated. We do not have the key to it or the combination, and want to know if there is still any value to this safe. What would that cost if you were able to do that? Or should we just recycle the things. Thanks for helping us out with the possible solutions.

Answer
Hi Paul,

I have no idea what you mean by "re-calibrated"???    I would assume that you mean the combination changed.    You also didn't mention whether or not the containers are open.    As you indicated that you don't have the keys or combination, I have to assume that these containers are locked shut.

These containers are cheaply made Chinese imports, imported by Sisco Products.    The "Brinks" name is simply a brand "logo".    Similar containers were also marketed under the Honeywell and First Alert brands - even though they are the same containers.

Bottom line - cost to open the containers, repair and recover or reset the combinations, AND make keys for them, is going to cost significantly more than they are worth.    

Hopefully you didn't purchase them like this, hoping to save money, as right now, the ONLY value they currently have is a negative one - that being the cost to open and repair them.

"IF" you were to bring them into my shop, I would probably charge you $125 ea to open/recover the combinations, plus another $35-$50 to fit keys to the locks.    In the field, you would be looking at closer to $250 to $375 per container.    Obviously the actual cost to open, repair, recover the combo and fit keys WILL vary by safe company and where you are located.    I would recommend you contact a local safe company to find out what they might charge you to work on the containers.

Hope this helps and gives you some direction.

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)