Locksmithing/Change a combonation

Question
Terry,
I have an old Tower (Sears) safe with a Yale combo lock.
I also have the combo, but would like to change it if possible. Safe is fine but I have no intention on putting money into it (figuratively) Do you know a way I can change the combo myself?
Thanks

Answer
Hi Ron,

While I understand that you are trying to save money by making this a DIY project - sorry but I don't train individuals to disassemble safe locks for the same reason that I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.    Lack of knowledge, training and tools CAN result in a locked up safe, which could cost 5 to 10 times the amount you save to have it opened and repaired.
Basic safe training is a 5 day class, which costs around $1350 to $1500, with the pre-requisite that you are a trained locksmith, or you also take basic locksmith training which costs between $2900 to $3500 and takes around 10-15 days.  (class room time).

Next item - the "Tower Safe" - this was simply a logo that Sears was selling, it was not a manufacturer.    Sears sold various models from several manufacturers ALL under the same brand logo.

My recommendation, especially as you are trying to save money is to simply take the container (or the door, if it will lift off the hinges), to a local SAFE company to have their safe technician reset the combination for you.    Cost will be in the $35 to $50 range, will be done correctly and will ensure that the lock is operating correctly.

Check your yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for local companies.

Hope this helps.  

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)