Locksmithing/Change a combonation

I have an old Tower (Sears) safe with a Yale combo lock.
I also have the combo, but would like to change it if possible. Safe is fine but I have no intention on putting money into it (figuratively) Do you know a way I can change the combo myself?

Hi Ron,

While I understand that you are trying to save money by making this a DIY project - sorry but I don't train individuals to disassemble safe locks for the same reason that I NEVER recommend using locksmiths for safe work.    Lack of knowledge, training and tools CAN result in a locked up safe, which could cost 5 to 10 times the amount you save to have it opened and repaired.
Basic safe training is a 5 day class, which costs around $1350 to $1500, with the pre-requisite that you are a trained locksmith, or you also take basic locksmith training which costs between $2900 to $3500 and takes around 10-15 days.  (class room time).

Next item - the "Tower Safe" - this was simply a logo that Sears was selling, it was not a manufacturer.    Sears sold various models from several manufacturers ALL under the same brand logo.

My recommendation, especially as you are trying to save money is to simply take the container (or the door, if it will lift off the hinges), to a local SAFE company to have their safe technician reset the combination for you.    Cost will be in the $35 to $50 range, will be done correctly and will ensure that the lock is operating correctly.

Check your yellow pages under "safes & vaults" for local companies.

Hope this helps.  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)