Locksmithing/Diebold Cashguard

I work for a casino and we purchased a bank that moved. They left all the keys and combinations. There is a night deposit safe (Diebold Cashguard 18140 TL-15). I have the key that unlocks the dial and the combination they left. The safe supposedly is hooked up to an alarm system.

The combo they left says Left 4x to 13, Right 3x to 47, Left 2x to 69, Right slowly to open. Itís not working.

Would the alarm have anything to do with the door not opening if the combo is right?

Thank you.

Hi Chad,

No the alarm has nothing to do with the lock, it was probably simply a burglary alarm.   As the bank has closed, the alarm is also most likely inactive.

There are ONLY three reasons a safe lock will not open, in order they are:

1.  Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors, or
2.  Incorrect combination, wrong numbers, and
3.  Mechanical problems.

I would have to assume that your problem is either #1 or #2.   

Assuming that you have the correct combination, you may be making some simple dialing mistakes.   The correct sequence is:

4 times left to the first number, 13
3 times right to the second number, 47
2 times left to the third number, 69
1 time right until the dial stops - probably around 90.

Note:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.    DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the INDIVIDUAL number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

For instance for your first number (13), you would turn the dial counter clockwise (left), stopping the fourth time the number 13 arrives at the index mark.    Then turn the dial clockwise (right) stopping the third time the number 47 arrives at the index - AGAIN, you are NOT counting the revolutions of the dial, count the number 47 each time as it arrives at the index mark as in -  Right to 47 once, 47 twice and stopping on 47 the third time.

Continue as above for the third number, and then turn the dial slowly to the right.   If you have dialed it correctly and "IF" the numbers are correct, it should unlock.

If it still won't unlock, then you may not have the correct combination.

If it still won't unlock, you may need the services of a safe technician from a local safe company.

Hope this helps,  

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)

Safe and Vault related Questions; Antique Safe Repair and Restoration; With over 40 years in the Safe & Vault industry, if I can't answer your question I know where to get the answer. Current Project: Restoration of two Tilton & McFarland safes from the 1860's. Will answer Safe & Vault related questions concerning age, value, restoration, moving, opening & repairing, parts, operation and history. Note: It is not my intention to teach you to open safes or to provide information which may aid in the unlawful opening of a safe. I will not give out drill points or information which I deem inappropriate.

40 years in the Safe & Vault Industry. Service Manager for one of the largest Safe & Vault companies on the West Coast. Graduate of Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing, Safe lock Manipulation and Safe Deposit Lock Courses. Graduate of Locksmith Institute. Certified Instructor for the California Locksmith Association teaching Basic and Advanced Lock Servicing, Basic Safe opening and Repairing. Factory Trained by AMSEC, LORD Safes, LeFebure, Mosler, KabaMas, LaGard and Sargent & Greenleaf

SafeCrackers International and the National Antique Safe Association

Graduate of Locksmith Institute 1972 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Servicing 1974 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Lock Manipulation 1975 Graduate Lockmasters Safe Deposit Lock Servicing 1985 Instructor Certified - California Locksmith Association - 1985 Factory trained by AMSEC, MAJOR, STAR, Johnson-Pacific, Kaba-MAS, Allied-Gary, ISM, Lord, Brown Safe, EXL, Mosler, Diebold.

2009 - 2014 - Listed in AllExperts Top 50 Experts. All Expert Categories - Safes & Security Containers, Locksmithing, Antique Safes. Retired US Army Chief Warrant Officer (CW4), with 39 years of total service. With numerous awards from Vietnam, Desert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom. US Navy - 1971-1981 US Army Reserve 1984-2013 US Army Retired

US Secret Service, FBI, BATF, Local Law enforcment agencies, Diebold, Hamilton Pacific, Red Hawk Int., Chubb International, Bank of America, Wells Fargo Bank, Mechanics Bank, El Dorado Savings Bank, many Credit unions and smaller banks. McDonalds, Togos, BurgerKing, TacoBell, Carls Jr. FoodMaxx, SaveMart, Lucky's, Albertson's, Raley's, Safeway, NobHill, Bell Markets, PW Markets. Great America, Century Theatres, Cinemark Theatres, UA Cinemas, and many homeowners and small businesses. Provide warranty service for lock and safe manufactures. Service Area is Northern California (Fresno to Oregon and Western Nevada)