Locksmithing/Lori safe (1060)

Question
Guy gave me this safe with his business.  Used it a lot but stored it for maybe last 5 years.  I do remember the combination having one number I think to the left, then some how going back to zero, then back around passing zero, reversing to the last number.  Definitely have the 3 numbers including zero memorized.  Please help.  I am dreaming these numbers

John

Answer
Hi John,

Lori was a lock manufacturer not a safe manufacturer.    If the safe (not the dial) indicates "LORI", then it is simply a label (brand) and NOT a manufacturer.

There are ONLY three reasons that a safe lock will not open, in order, they are:

1.   Incorrect dialing sequence, operator errors, or
2.   Incorrect combination, wrong numbers, and finally
3.   Mechanical problems.

The basic dialing sequence for most safe locks is going to be:

4 times left to the first number,
3 times right to the second number,
2 times left to the third number,
1 time right until the dial stops

NOTE:   There are numerous types of locks, so yours may dial RLRL instead of LRLR and the final instruction may be:
1 time right - stopping at "0" - then turn the handle.

Without out more info about your safe and the lock installed, all I can provide is some basic info.

NOTE:   Left is counter clockwise, Right is clockwise.    DO NOT count the revolutions of the dial, count the individual number as it arrives at the 12 o'clock index mark.

If you still can't get it open, then you may not have the correct numbers.    It may be time to have it checked out by a safe technician from a local safe company (not a locksmith).

Hope this helps,

Locksmithing

Terry V. Andreasen (Andy)